Thursday, April 06, 2006

GENE PITNEY... "Goodbye".

We say goodbye to one of my favourite singers...

SINGER Gene Pitney died in the middle of his UK tour, his agent said.The 65-year-old American star was found dead at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff Wales.

His 40-year career included the hits Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa and Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

Pitney had played St David's Hall in Cardiff and was due to perform in Bristol.

In an interview at Christmas he spoke of his excitement at taking his show around the UK on a 23-date tour which was due to end later this month.

He denied it was a gruelling schedule, saying: "I take care of myself. I can finish up the tour no problem whatsoever. "I love doing what I'm doing - to pick and choose where I want to go and what I want to do."

Pitney rose to fame in the sixties and was introduced to a new generation of fans in 1989 when he duetted with Marc Almond on Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart. The single gave Pitney his first UK number one - 22 years after its first release.

His songs have been recorded by some of the world's biggest stars - Hello Mary Lou was released by Ricky Nelson, Today's Teardrops by Roy Orbison, and Rubber Ball by US singer Bobby Vee and British artist Marty Wilde.

He worked with the Rolling Stones and is credited with helping them find fame in the US. In 2002, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

A spokeswoman for Cardiff coroner Mary Hassell said she had been officially informed of the star's death. The spokeswoman said a post mortem examination would take place to establish whether an inquest will be necessary.

Pitney was born February 17, 1941 in Hartford, Connecticut.


Gone, but not forgotten.
Ava g'day!