Friday, November 03, 2006

WEEKEND ENCOURAGEMENT #1.

It's the weekend in Australia, and we have a bit of time to do things we normally wouldn't. So I thought that I would use some of my time to encourage intermittent Bloggers to blog more, and at the same time encourage myself to blog more.

Brodie McGregor of "View From The Basement" brought up these 7 thoughts in March 2005 that encouraged me greatly, as a new Blogger, (this is my other blog,) so I thought that I would like to share with you what he shared, that encouraged me greatly...

What's a blog for?
TallSkinnyKiwi, recently posted on the bloggers 7 deadly sins. This got me thinking afresh about what a blog is for, why I blog and read blogs. So here's my humble 7 thoughts on blogging;

(1) Blogs are a place for sharing, be that about what's going on in your life, the world or resources you want to make available to others.

(2) Blogs are a place for giving - so if you make something available don't charge for it. Johnny Baker's, worship tricks are a fabulous example of giving on the blog.

(3) Blogs are a place to be vulnerable - ok there needs to be an appropriateness and some sense here. If I was having a problem with some one my blog is not the place to vent this. But if there is to be a genuine sharing and giving then that does mean there's a vulnerability. We're all vulnerable to people commenting on what we post, and vulnerable to people misappropriating what we give.

(4) Blogs should be places of encouragement - I think it's good to if you regularly read a blog post a comment every so often, even if you don't particularly connect with that post. I think it's particularly important to encourage those who don't get many comments and yet are doing good stuff.

(5) Blogs should be varied - it's good to have a mix of serious stuff and fun things to.

(6) Blogs should enrich - it's easy to be negative, and takes more effort and creativity at times to be positive. Also it's good to keep a balance between spending time with friends I can have a meal with and "do coffee" and friends whom I may never meet except on the blog.

(7) Blogs should be regular.

I believe the thoughts that Brodie shared were excellent , (not just because he's Scottish!) :-) Maybe you would like to add to them and encourage others!

GBYAY and have a great weekend!